Quote

We witness a miracle every time a child enters
into life. But those who make their journey home across time and miles,
growing within the hearts of those who wait for them, are carried on the wings
of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands.

~Kristi Larson

Music

The music playing is some of my favorite songs that have inspired me and kept me moving through those difficult days where I find myself missing Katie and struggling to understand God's timing. I would encourage you to continue listening to the music even when you are done reading our updates!

Katie Jane Na Harris

Katie Jane Na Harris
Let them eat cake!!!

Our Journey to Katie Jane..........

Follow our journey to bring home an amazing little girl named Dang Qing Na, who will forever be known as Katie Jane Na Harris, the love of this families lives!

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Medical exams in China ain't so fun!

It's Katie's second birthday today!  I had a good cry this morning wondering if her birth mother was thinking about her today and feeling so sad for both my daughter and the woman who I am so grateful for because I know have Katie in my life.  The hotel brought us a beautiful cake for her birthday and we took it to the play room and shared it with several other families in our travel group.  One of the little girls sang happy birthday to her in Chinese.  It was very sweet and Katie found it entertaining. 
 
Today Katie also had to have the infamous medical exam.  I am certain that medical clinics in third world countries are infinitely worse, but when it comes to socialized medicine, this is about as bad as it gets.  There was one clinic crawling with hundreds and hundreds of people.  It was standing room only and you had to push and shove to get through the hallways into the belly of the clinical beast.  There was a small room specifically for adoptive family exams and it too was packed with bodies all American holding their hot screaming children. 
I had to do the honors with Katie for her first doctors visit as Patrick was sick all night and all morning and was unable to stray far from the bathroom, if you know what I mean. 
Katie had to do a TB test, as all children over two have to do.  She passed this test, and then on to the hearing test (doctor said "oh my!  Her ears are really clogged with wax!  Can she hear you well?"   Me:  "Nope.  Or she just has selective hearing."
Tried to check her mouth but she was a sealed vault.  Not opening up for just any doctor today.  Then height and weight measurements and then to the regular physical exam.  The doctor took one look at her diagnosis which was Epidural Hematoma and he said "What?  Are you sure this is correct?  Can she even function?"  I explained that by all indications she appears to function normally with the exceptions of speech and motor delays caused by institutionalization.  He said, "I think her diagnosis was wrong".  I actually started to get scared, worried they would try to take her away from me because they suddenly realized that she was not as severely special needs as they first thought.  I told him to feel her head and showed him the large 5 inch scar on her little misshapen skull.  This seemed sufficient enough and he let us move on to the next stage which was the shots.  Thank God that one of the other men in our group offered to hold her during her shots because it was awful.  The shots are immunizations which are generally so weak that many of these children have to have their immunizations
re-administered once home to the US.  As Katie screamed I had to shut my eyes and try to find my "happy place" but the tears just flowed.  I was so angry that she has to have these unnecessary and ineffective shots, especially during such a fragile time for her.  Well, a half a pack of M&M's later, she was happy again and all was right in our world. 
 
We shopped on the way home and I bought several items that are entirely too heavy and I think my husband wanted to make me sleep in the hall. :)  Ah, but how good does spending money feel after a really emotionally tough day???!
 
Katie will now let me hold her with only about 60 seconds of tears and protest, but she will not allow me to rub her back.  She makes it very clear that I am not allowed to rub her back, touch her arms or legs or her hair.  But, she will let me kiss all over her face and will press her cheek to my cheek.  She will push my arms away and grunt at me.  She will allow Patrick to touch her, which is encouraging.  I think we will be doing some sensory testing once we get home and I need to start some education about attachment and sensory stimulation. 
 
We had Katie do more walking today.  She has zero leg strength or foot strength.  She has just enough strength in her hip flexors to swing each leg forward, but its a very awkward walk, similar to a child just learning to walk.  Her fine motor skills are phenomenal probably due to all the hours in a crib playing with a single piece of paper, or some small toy that she learned to manipulate with her fingers.  I also think that her language is probably also at least 6 months delayed, possibly more.  On the other hand, some kids just go silent for a few months and then start talking in full sentences.  This could also be her. 
 
She and her daddy are gently wrestling on the bed right now and he is able to get some good giggles out of her.  We are just so in love.  So smitten with this little beauty that has blessed our lives and enlarged our worlds.  I mean look at me!  I've eaten Ox tail soup and shaved tongue for goodness sakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment